Sunday, February 10, 2013

It's probably only me...

I spend way too much time thinking about breastfeeding for someone who is no longer nursing herself.  I get that.  That's why I consider myself a Boob Nerd.  I'm obsessive about it, which for my job I guess is a good thing.  For my personal life, maybe not as much.  I know my childless girlfriends are like, "OK we get it.  Now shut up about it!"  But it informs the way I look at the world in a very specific way.


Take The Walking Dead for example.  I was so looking forward to Lori's death because I just hated that bitch so hard. (Sarah Wayne Callies you are a truly amazing actress to get me to want to punch your character in the face for an hour each week yet still love the show so much.  I have loved it even more for my hatred of Lori.  Carl too at first, but he's redeemed himself for shooting his mom in the face.[I know, I'm a terrible human being.])  But with all my looking forward to Lori's demise, I was pretty sure they wouldn't kill off the baby in the TV show.  You can build so much drama around children in danger, it would have been wasteful to kill off mom and baby at the same time.  So that lead to much concern on my part about how this kid would get fed.  Literally I thought about this.  I know.

Hershel says they have to go out to get formula--Me: NO!!!


But I know I'm in the minority.  Normal people do not think
about those things when they are watching escapist television.

Put the baby to breast!!!!  You CAN make the milk!!!!
Of course Ganger babies probably don't need  milk



I also worried about poor baby Melody/River's ability to nurse in Doctor Who.  Because that's how I roll.   Luckily I was saved from that worry because The Doctor speaks baby and she wouldn't call Amy "big milk thing" if milk didn't come from her.  Mind eased.





Then there are thing like this that make me very happy.  From The New Normal:

And the episode of the office when Jim and Pam have their first baby and the lactation consultant is a man.  Awesome.  I love the subversion of putting a man in a role primarily filled by women.  The Mindy Project did the same with the male midwife brothers.  Love that.  But back to the office.  The episode is called The Delivery Part 2 and also in the middle of the night she nurses the roomate's baby on accident.  A fun cameo of The Big Bang Theory's Melissa Rausch as the roomate.  Of course it's all completely fictionalized and you have to take it with a grain of salt but still one of the best comedic breastfeeding portrayals in television.  Points for realism for the "bottles are fine, send the baby to the nursery" nurse.  That really happens.



No comments:

Post a Comment